Re: Whitespace around enumerated attribute values

From: White Lynx <whitelynx@operamail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:11:05 +0400
To: www-math@w3.org

> movablelimits="false" and
> movablelimits="    false    " are not treated in the same way.

It's a general problem with XML attribute value normalization, if non-validating parser does not read external DTD it can not determine attribute type and treats it as CDATA.

> It follows that robustness authors are best off always omitting
> extra  whitespace in attribute values. I suggest this be required
> for  document conformance for this reason.

It is good practice not to rely on parser to strip leading/trailing spaces, but I would say this is general issue with XML attributes (thus better to be addressed by XML Core WG), not something that MathML WG should interfere with.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#AVNormalize