Re: The problems with namespaces in text/html

Jacques Distler <distler@golem.ph.utexas.edu> writes:

> >> 2) Hyperlinks in MathML are <mrow>s with XLink attributes:
> >>        <mrow xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
> >>            xlink:type="simple" xlink:href="..."> ... </mrow>
> >Regarding links from inside math: I think the most interoperable
> >approach is to allow HTML <a> elements inside <mtext>.
>
> And what if you want to turn a term in an equation into a hyperlink?
> That's what the above construction allows.

In the XML world with XLINK, yes.

> >Beyond that I would like to see the HTML elements <a>, <em>, and
> ><b> (or <strong>) incorporated in the XHTML+MathML document type
> >definition as elements that are allowed in <mtext>.
>
> So you want to change the content model of <mtext> to include (inline?)
> XHTML?

is not a huge challenge for a MathML plugin.

And, no, not the MathML document type definition but only the
XHTML+MathML document type definition (for use in presentational
contexts).

> But I think that's orthogonal to the current discussion.

It's on point so long as XLINK won't fit in HTML5.  Even if the
HTML5 folk said yes to XLINK, I think this would be safer.

There was also once, may be still is, the idea of href attributes for
any element in an XHTML document.  That would scale to HTML5, but it
presents accessibility challenges.  Everyone understands <a>.  Keep
things simple when you can.

                                    -- Bill