Re: MathML-in-HTML5

From: <juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 06:08:10 -0700 (PDT)
To: <www-math@w3.org>

White Lynx said:

>> Visitors can read mathematical formulae
>> without plugins, special fonts or without a Mozilla browser thanks to CSS
>> techniques. I think that scientific and educative material would be
>> accesible to anyone and I am really tired of “you need IE+plugin or
>> FF+fonts for seeing this site”.
>
> There a plans to add some CSS extensions, and ensure that other markup
> languages that at the moment do not fit well in the scope of approach will
> work in XML+CSS framework, in particular special MathML profile that
> admits default style sheet will be designed, certain
> subset of ECMA OMML will fit in the scope too and of course different
> microformats that if desired may be HTML based can be handled in the
same > manner. This will bring real extensibility to MathML and minimize
its
> dependence on ad hoc support, as once it will be
> able to benefit from capabilities of CSS rendering engines (a lot of
> things exist canonically in XML+CSS framework and cost nothing to math
> community) then small share of math community will not be the obstackle
> that discourages implementations. The time when all
> functionality was predefined by support or lack of such for some HTML
> elements is gone, real extensibility and proper integration with
> extensible environment are on agenda, not the
> tag soup handling games that bring no real functionality and just
> dissipate and waste resources.

And all of that is good, but

1) Will be Mozilla interested in CSS rendering of math? Now, it sounds "no".

2) Even if a good MathML 3 CSS module is presented by the WG, how many
years would we wait for benefit? Unfortunately, we need solutions for
yesterday.

Juan R.

Center for CANONICAL |SCIENCE)