RE: MathML-in-HTML5

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Paul Topping wrote:

> So do you expect browsers like Mozilla and IE to accept HTML5 and handle
> it as defined by your spec?

In due course. It won't happen overnight by any means; indeed the spec is
far from ready and there are several major known issues with the spec as
currently written.

> I'm going to guess that your answer is yes for Mozilla but no or "not my
> problem" for IE.

If IE doesn't get on board, the whole affair is rather a waste of time.
The browser with the largest chunk of market share is our biggest problem.

> If so, won't Mozilla have to have 3 parsers and renderers, one for
> tag-soup HTML, one for XHTML, and one for HTML5?

The "tag soup HTML" parser is the HTML5 parser (or vice versa, depending
on how you look at it). The "XHTML" parser is just the XML parser.

> Regardless of whether the above is right or wrong, it sounds like you
> are saying that adding MathML or <math> to HTML5 is not going to give us
> MathML support in everyday tag soup HTML.

I'm not sure what you mean by "everyday tag soup HTML" as distinct from
HTML5. HTML5, as proposed, is merely the next version of "everyday tag
soup HTML" (except that it would no longer be "tag soup" since the
processing model would be well-defined and interoperable across browsers).