RE: MathML-in-HTML5

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 19:39:01 +0000 (UTC)
To: Paul Topping <pault@dessci.com>
Cc: www-math@w3.org, dev-tech-mathml@lists.mozilla.org

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Paul Topping wrote:

> It's not clear to me what you would expect to happen if the browser did
> "syntax checking". Just reject the document and display nothing? No one
> would want an HTML browser to do that.

Well, you and I wouldn't want that, but it isn't true to say that no-one
would want that. In fact there is a huge community of people who keep
asking for browsers to reject invalid content. The XML language is
entirely written around the concept that invalid content must be rejected.

> Even tag soup can be validated, it's just that the "standard" is the
> defacto one defined by the most popular browsers.

Well, we're changing that with HTML5. But yes.