Re: MathML-in-HTML5

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 01:28:38 +0000 (UTC)
To: "Roger B. Sidje" <rbs@maths.uq.edu.au>
Cc: Paul Topping <pault@dessci.com>, David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>, www-math@w3.org, dev-tech-mathml@lists.mozilla.org

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Roger B. Sidje wrote:

> On 4/10/2006 10:38 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> >
> > The proposal that I understand Roger intends to experiment with is making
> > any tag in a particular list of tags be added to the DOM as a node not in
> > the XHTML namespace but in the MathML namespace.
>
> The simpler <math xmlns="...">...</math> would make life much easier, as
> - it would avoid listing all the possible tags up-front
> - gives parity with IE+MathPlayer out-of-the-box.
> - future proof.
>
> Perhaps xmlns could be an exceptional attribute.

There are millions of pages that have bogus xmlns="" attributes on various
tags. If we started doing things with those attributes, those pages would
break. That's not an option. I haven't studied IE closely enough to know
exactly what it's doing, but it isn't as simple as simply handling an
xmlns="" attribute on any tag.

More importantly, xmlns="" isn't simple. Authors have huge issues with
anything like namespaces. There really isn't a good reason to introduce
them -- future proofing isn't an issue here (we can just change the spec),
parity with IE+MathPlayer isn't an issue (it's easy to have a script act
as a shim if we need such compatibility), and listing all the possible
tags up-front is easy.