RE: MathML-in-HTML5

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 00:28:18 +0000 (UTC)
To: Paul Topping <pault@dessci.com>
Cc: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>, www-math@w3.org, dev-tech-mathml@lists.mozilla.org

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Paul Topping wrote:

> That fact that adding XML islands to tag soup doesn't turn it into steak
> shouldn't surprise anyone. But I don't think it is fair to dismiss the
> value of adding MathML to HTML on that basis. I think Microsoft provided
> a very simple mechanism that allows XML islands inside tag soup but
> without making it more soupy, to stretch the metaphor a bit.

I'm not saying don't add MathML to HTML. I'm saying don't add namespace
syntax to HTML. I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing what Roger's
experience with adding MathML to HTML is.

> I'm not sure what you mean by "lack of success of IE's extension
> mechanism".

It doesn't have millions of pages using it, the way that other IE
non-standard extensions (e.g. <marquee>) have taken off.