Re: MathML-in-HTML5

From: Bruce Miller <bruce.miller@nist.gov>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 13:01:55 -0400
To: dev-tech-mathml@lists.mozilla.org
CC: www-math@w3.org

I'm puzzled at this whole notion that XHTML is somehow
hard (I find it easier).  It seems to me that single
(& fatal) problem for XHTML is that IE doesn't support it.
Given that, it's hard to be optimistic about IE eventually
supporting HTML5[*], let alone HTML5+MathML or anything else.

In reference to "CMS" not reliably support XHTML,
(depending on exactly what is meant by "CMS"),
most web tools[**] seem unable to reliably generate
(conformant) HTML either -- in the current web, there's
little motivation.  Again, it's hard to see that HTML5
will improve that.

[*] Other than it accidentally digesting the tag-soup
in a way vaguely reminiscent of what the author intended.
[**] except those that are XML based in the first place.
--
bruce.miller@nist.gov
http://math.nist.gov/~BMiller/