Re: Samples from the Internet

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:25:14 GMT
To: juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com
Cc: www-math@w3.org

> I am not interested in technical details or if the validators are strictly
> following the XML spec or are not.

Maybe you are not, but anyone hosting a validation service clearly
should be concerned about that, and it was the behaviour of validation
services that you were questioning.

> Whereas the MathML validator A will say it "The input is valid MathML" and
> the B will say it "This Page Is Valid MathML 2.0!".

> Then the guy got confused and read the MathML specification and there
> explicitely it is said that their code is _prohibited_.

This isn't really any different from using an <a> element nested inside
another in XHTML. Any DTD validation service will tell you it's valid
but the prose text of the XHTML will tell you that it is prohibited.
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#prohibitions

It's always going to be possible to define more constrains in the prose
text of a specifcation than in any formal grammar, and it's not at all
unusual for language specifications to do that.