Re: Samples from the Internet

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:25:14 GMT
To: juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com
Cc: www-math@w3.org

> I am not interested in technical details or if the validators are strictly
> following the XML spec or are not.

Maybe you are not, but anyone hosting a validation service clearly
should be concerned about that, and it was the behaviour of validation
services that you were questioning.

> Whereas the MathML validator A will say it "The input is valid MathML" and
> the B will say it "This Page Is Valid MathML 2.0!".

> Then the guy got confused and read the MathML specification and there
> explicitely it is said that their code is _prohibited_.

This isn't really any different from using an <a> element nested inside
another in XHTML. Any DTD validation service will tell you it's valid
but the prose text of the XHTML will tell you that it is prohibited.

It's always going to be possible to define more constrains in the prose
text of a specifcation than in any formal grammar, and it's not at all
unusual for language specifications to do that.