Re: [whatwg] The problems with namespaces in text/html

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 15:56:45 +0100
To: www-math@w3.org, WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 15:48:59 +0100, Elliotte Harold
<elharo@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
>>> Browser vendors can handle XHTML now. It's a non-issue for them.
>>
>>  Working for one I can assure you it's very much an issue.
>
> Looking at http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/ it seems like you do a
> pretty good job. :-)
>
> certainly there's new stuff in HTML 5 that will require new code to
> support; but do you really think a few namespace prefixes will make it
> harder to do that?

I have no idea how namespace prefixes would work in an HTML parser.
Perhaps you can take a look at
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#parsing and see what
might need to be done to make that namespace prefix compatible? I
personally don't really see value in adding any kind of namespace syntax
to HTML.

Note that you can't rely on well-formedness in the parser and that you
need to handle all error cases as well in a way that doesn't cause a
"yellow screen of death" to be generated.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>