Re: [whatwg] The problems with namespaces in text/html (Was: MathML-in-HTML5)

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

>> I'm not sure why that bothers you. As long as things are well-formed,
>> what's the harm?
>
> text/html *does not* enforce well-formedness and *never will*.  That's
> the problem!

application/xhtml+xml doesn't enforce well-formedness either. That's the
job of the parser.

If a server sends text/html, and the resulting character stream parses
as well-formed, then it is well-formed. If it doesn't, it isn't. What
matters more is what the stream is, not what the server says it is.
(Yes, I know there are a few details about character encoding detection
that come into play here. That doesn't change the point, though.)

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!