Re: Mathematical selection

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 23:04:36 +0200
To: Neil Soiffer <neils@dessci.com>

Neil Soiffer wrote:

> Again, I think pullback is used in a superscript position.
> Convolution uses "*" as an infix operator that does have the same (or
> very close to the same) precedence as multiplication.  Notations are
> re-used in different contexts with different meanings.  The remarkable
> thing is that for at least commonly used notations and operators,
> people seem to have come to agreement as to their relative precedence
> and grouping -- it makes understanding the new use easier.

I think you are right but I am fearing that this only relies on
experimental observation...

> The MathML spec does recommend proper nesting of mrows to reflect the
> structure of the expression.  This aids in linebreaking and indenting
> expressions.  Proper nesting also aids in writing transformations of
> MathML to whatever.  Unfortunately, proper nesting is not the norm.
> However, this does mean that applications can distinguish themselves
> by inferring the proper mrow structure.  They do so at the very minor
> risk that the generating application really did want a flat mrow.

Standardizin g a feature such as selection based on the proper nesting
is probably what might stimulate it ?
My intent would be to take this further into a specification of the copy
action (and maybe paste).

paul