Re: Mathematical selection

From: Neil Soiffer <neils@dessci.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:50:46 -0800
> let's try to be realistic and consider the classical dual operator
> generally written as "*".
> This one is out of the operator dictionary hence needs a special
> notation-configuration right ?
> Or has there been an entity defined for this ?
>
> paul
> PS: that was K-12 for me and I suppose some others.

Your K-12 education was clearly better than mine...

I assume that by the dual operator "*", you mean "*" in a superscript position such as in x^*.  In such a position, it has no arguments and precedence is meaningless so I don't understand what you are asking/commenting on.  Maybe this exposes just how weak my K-12 education was :-)

FYI:  (as you know) "*" is not usually used for multiplication in typeset math -- &CenterDot; or &times; or &it; are typically used.  "*" was included for compatibility with ASCII-based math notations just as ">=" was included.  The operator dictionary does not recommend one form over another and tried to be inclusive as an aid to developers in case those notations were used by authors.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
neils@dessci.com
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of Equation Editor, MathType, MathPlayer and MathFlow ~