RE: Formal query about WG role and MathML-FAQ

Juan,

I'd like to make a couple of points.

First, it seems to me that you perhaps don't give proper emphasis to the
fact that the W3C is a consortium of member organizations. Thus, your
insistence on "official" answers is somewhat misplaced.  It doesn't
really make sense at a certain level.  If Canonical Science were to
become a member organization, then there is a well-defined process for
raising concerns and blocking certain procedural actions if they aren't.
However, since you aren't a representative of a member organization (is
this correct?) then you have no official standing.

Of course, you are a potential customer/critic/consumer of the products
and services provided by member organizations, such as my own company
Design Science.  And further, W3C does try to provide a forumn for the
community as a whole. So it is entirely approriate for you to post your
ideas and criticisms to the www-math list. I don't mean to discourage
that at all.

However, as I have observed again and again during the decade I've
devoted myself to the issues of electronic mathematical communication,
the principle challenges are not technical, but political. MathML is not
the way it is exclusively because of language design considerations --
it is the way it is because it was the politically feasible compromise
between the many conflicting interests of the consortium members that
had a stake is standardizing a markup for math notation.  Similarly, you
can rest assured that no one in the Math group is happy about the
fragmented and generally unsatisfactory level of support for MathML in
browsers. But the challenge is to muster the resources necessary to
affect change. Believe it or not, the providers of software such as
Safari, Firefox, Opera and Internet Explorer haven't been inclined to
make math support their first priority.

If you want people to comment on your proposals and ultimately use the
input language you devise, your challenge is to convince them it is a
good idea, that you will find a way to make good tool support widely
available, and that you won't just take of lot of valuable time from
busy people only to become yet another guy who has strong views on how
math notation should be coded but whose project ultimately produces
little. There have been a lot of such people over the years and thus I
am wary. Speaking personally, irate hectoring on public mailing lists
isn't the most effective way to pursuade me to take an interest in your
work.

>From what I've seen so far, I'd say your ideas on authoring have a
reasonable chance for meeting the needs of a certain group of people.
But in general, my view is that most of the potential authors of
mathematical content that want to author by hand in a text editor would
rather just use a TeX family language. You might win some supporters
from that group, but you are competing with more established
alternatives like ASCIIMathML and others that have already developed and
deployed working software. By far the larger group of potential authors
of math on the web prefer simpler, graphical authoring tools, which is
part of the reason that most commercial software development has focused
on that group.

--Robert

Robert Miner
Director, New Product Development
W3C Math Interest Group co-chair

- our address has changed -
Design Science, Inc.
140 Pine Avenue, 4th Floor
Long Beach, California  90802
USA
Tel:  (651) 223-2883
Fax:  (651) 292-0014
robertm@dessci.com
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, WebEQ, Equation Editor,
TexAide ~