[Strategy] www-math list use

On Jul 15, 2006, at 1:43 PM, Mark P. Line wrote:
>> Well, I think that WebMath is not w3c list.
>
> Right, it is not maintained by the W3C. But it is recommended
> highly by
> the W3C, since they have a link to it right below the link to this
> list on
> their Math homepage. I assume they did that so that posts along the
> lines
> of "You should have done all this completely differently, you
> know." would
> be taken elsewhere. But I'm only guessing.
The WebMath list has been used mostly recently for general announcements
about conferences involving math on the Web or product
announcements.  It
hasn't been very active.  I have no idea if the moderator June Lester
would like
it otherwise.

> For my own part, I wish there were at least three official MathML
> mailing
> lists: one for strategic standards discussion, one for the
> presentation
> track and one for the content track. Somebody like me could then
> subscribe
> to the strategy list and the content list and avoid discussions of
> rendering big parens in Lynx 1.0 or the advantages of exponents over
> radical notation (one being that you can render in Lynx using those
> two
> little star thingies.....).

I suppose the Math WG should consider the possibility of setting up
multiple lists, e.g.,  [Strategy | Presentation | Content], if the
traffic rate on
www-math stays up.  Or maybe we should ask that those posting
provide clearer subject headings as above (that heading's just a trivial
example not a well-considered suggestion).

	Patrick

         Mathematical Reviews / AMS
         Ann Arbor, MI  USA