Re: Math on the web without MathML (CSS 2.1 rendering for HTML and XML)

juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com wrote:
> Bruce Miller wrote:
>> While it certainly would have been a nicer world had MathML fit
>> better into the CSS scheme, this criticism is, I think, extremely
>> unfair.
>>
>> The CSS1 spec came out at the end of 1996, the MathML spec near
>> the beginning of 1998; roughly a year apart, which means that
>> most of the development was going on in parallel.  Decent
>> implementation of CSS, of course, took even longer.
>
> Today, many browsers have decent implementation of CSS. Only Mozilla (and
> w3c Amaya) has partial implementation of p-MathML and not of content
> MathML.

Yes, _today_ (but not then) _many_ (but not most, if you take market
share into account) browsers have _decent_ (but neither complete,
nor consistent) implementation of CSS.

> I understand that Lie said "a markup language that could be presented
> using existing CSS properties."

Exactly! whatever markup language you designed, anything
that could have been presented using existing CSS properties (CSS1)
wouldn't be recognizable as math.

Why doesn't the same criticism apply to SVG?
That spec came out even later --- FIVE years after CSS!!!
Surely they wouldn't let the lack of a few CSS properties
stop them?

--
bruce.miller@nist.gov
http://math.nist.gov/~BMiller/