MathMLPredefinedSymbol::symbolName vs namespaces in XML

From: Andrew Miller <ak.miller@auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 08:46:39 +1300
To: www-math@w3.org

Note: I sent this mail to the list previously, but it was not sent back to me
and did not appear in the archives, so I am resending it. Sorry if you get this

Hi all,

The MathML2 specification defines symbolName as follows:

"symbolName of type DOMString, readonly

    A string giving the name of the MathML element represented. This is a
convenience attribute only; accessing it should be synonymous with accessing
the Element::tagName attribute."

This seems wrong, because tagName is equivalent to Node::qualifiedName for
elements with namespaces. If you use a predefined symbol like this:
<mathml:eq/> then the symbolName will be "mathml:eq", when it really should
just be "eq". Perhaps it should be an alias for Element::localName (or better
yet, to Node::localName, unless it is null, in which case it is an alias to

Best regards,
Andrew Miller