mover vs latin chars with diacriticals

From: Neil Soiffer <neils@dessci.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:18:01 -0700
The Unicode blocks Latin Extended A, B, and Additional contain roman characters with various diacritical marks.  Eg, U+1E8B is "Latin small letter x with dot above" and is equivalent to "x" with the combining character U+0307.

I thought the MathML spec said that using <mover> was preferable to using these characters, but I didn't find anything.  This issue came up when looking at the output of a program -- sometimes it used characters in the Latin blocks and sometimes it used <mover>.  Dealing with multiple forms increases the complexity of most programs that process the MathML.

If the spec is currently silent on this (maybe I missed where it talked about it), do people think that the spec should recommend one form over the other?  If so which form?  [In case it is not obvious, I think <mover> should be recommended in the spec]

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of Equation Editor, MathType, MathPlayer and MathFlow ~