Re: Technical reasons for some options taken on design of MathML

From: William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:52:27 -0400
To: www-math@w3.org

Dear Friends,

While I've done very little so far with content MathML, I have found
over the last two years that my needs have been served very well by
using presentation MathML in my academic web pages found through
http://math.albany.edu/~hammond/.

Let me also say that I was watching when "html math" in the 1995 draft
for HTML, version 3.0, led to that draft version of HTML being
dropped, and, during the development of MathML since then, (1) it has
always been clear that MathML was never intended for direct writing by
humans and (2) it was not the task of the W3C Math group to produce
author-level tools.

                                    -- Bill