Re: consuming the semantic tag (was Re: Subscripts in Content MathML)

Stan,

I would like to see who is using the semantic tag and how.
I think the semantic tag can allow applications to embed these semantic
markups so that a copy and paste, for example, can happen on the
expression (moreover, subexpressions can be selected and copied if
parallel markup is used).

The issue I have with the semantic tag is how to specify which semantic
tag to take ?

Indeed, your extended sum-with-elipsis would fit if the client
application would support it and should be converted to an official sum
if not.
So we would have at least the following flavours:
- matml-content:official-symbols
- mathml-content:official-symbols-plus-some-more-of-system-x
-
mathml-content:official-symbols-plus-some-more-of-system-x-and-system-y
Are these "sets-of-symbols" (somewhat equivalent to OpenMath cdgroups)
well and declaratively defined ? Should they be part of mime-types ??
   application/xml+mathml-content+some-more-of-x
This would integrate in such exchange systems as copy and paste or
drag-and-drop.

I have a further complaint about the semantic-element: they're
expensive! If you start having at least, say, two
sets-of-supported-symbols, then you have, at delivery time, to output
two times the semantic content for each formulae, every time rephrased.
I tend to believe that expecting clients to request from the server at
a URL representing the content, using a similar negotiation (be it
mime-types based or something else), would yield much better
performances and more translation mechanisms possible.
Any experience in this direction ?

thanks

paul