Re: Options for inclusion of SVG and MathML in OpenReader format?

From: <RobertM@dessci.com>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 10:53:48 -0500
To: masatran@research.iiit.ac.in
CC: www-math@w3.org

Hi.

> > So what mechanism(s) do the SVG and MathML experts recommend for
> > inclusion of "islands" of SVG and MathML markup within XHTML 1.1
> > documents? Also, do SVG and MathML provide their own media fallback
> > mechanisms [see note below], or will we need to provide that?
>
> Inline MathML and SVG do not provide fallback mechanisms.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I don't think this is true.

MathML has a media fallback mechanism, by virtue of the 'overflow',
'altimg' and 'alttext' attributes on the <math> element.  See 7.1.2
The Top-Level math Element in the spec.

These attributes have only rarely been implemented, but I know of a
couple software packages that do one or more of them, and I'd
definitely say it is better to use them if possible, even being a
little abusive if necessary, than to invent something new.

--Robert

Dr. Robert Miner                                RobertM@dessci.com
W3C Math Interest Group co-chair                      651-223-2883
Design Science, Inc.   "How Science Communicates"   www.dessci.com