Re: multi-lingual/cross-cultural maths using MathML?

Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> Can you hint to what would be the internationalization of MathML content
> ???
> I would have hoped it to be international, being expected to be semantic...

Good point, Paul.  Actually, in the case of MathML Content,
*localization* (that is, rendering depending on a language or culture or
other context) is the main issue.

Ex.:  gcd vs. ggT vs. mcd vs. MCD  (in locales en/de/es/it)

However, in our paper we note that there are more parameters than just
language that determine the correct choice of a specific rendering
during localization of Content MathML.

Among these, the most important parameter in our application is probably
the choice between rendering an expression as a formula (e.g.
"Vx.P(x)") or rendering it as natural-language text (e.g. "there is an x
such that P(x)").  The latter is not only important as a source for
aural rendering; many of the more "advanced" features of mathematics are
simply expressed verbally in lower grades, long before they are
formalized for advanced students - quantifiers being a case in point.

It is in this context that MathML 3.0 will hopefully have better support
for marking choices between variants.

  -- Andreas