Re: unicode combining character for "not"

From: Neil Soiffer <NeilS@DesSci.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:43:46 -0700
To: "William F. Hammond" <hammond@math.albany.edu>, "W3C MathML Discussion" <www-math@w3.org>

> Questions:
>
> 1.  Not withstanding the existence of a unicode point for 'not greater
>     'than', is it correct that "<mo>&gt;&#x0338;</mo>" should yield
>     a glyph like '>' overstruck with a glyph like '/'?

Yes it should.  In fact, Unicode says that they should be equivalent, and a
good implementation will probably substitute the single glyph equivalent
(&#x226f) rather than overlay the "/" on a ">".  However, as you have found,
the support for combining chars in MathML applications is not very common,
so I would stick to using &#x226f (&NotGreater;) if possible.

As Paul just remarked, we are working on combining character support for
MathPlayer and it should be in a not too distant release (for arbitrary
values of "not too distant":-)

    Neil