Re: MathML and CSS

Ian Hickson wrote:
> Doing that is meaningless. Arbitrary XML has no semantics.
I already heard this story many times and realise problem myself.
The answer is that I will feel free to rely on custom XML vocabularies
every time when I see that markup language developed by W3C does not
address my needs (and don't suggest me to use server side XSLT).

> Author stylesheets are always optional -- in Opera, for example, you can
> press Ctrl-G at any time. With MathML (or any standard language), you are
> always guarenteed that the user can always find a way to display (or
> render using a non-visual device) the content appropriately. With
> arbitrary XML, the user has no way to know what you intended if he does
> not want (or is not able) to use your stylesheets.
OK, I often use user style sheets myself.
Thus freedom has a price. It is of course disadvantage
(inspite of the fact that in this particular case Opera users
does not have opportunity to read MathML while MathML
supporting browsers are not too keen in applying user style sheets,
so effect is no so big).

We gone slightly offtopic, lets turn back to CSS3 math module.

From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.