Re: e-notation definition missing from MathML 2nd ed schemas?

The e-notation is just (or is supposed to be) an allowed value
for the "type" attribute.  Basically, there are several types of
numbers, all having 2 parts, and all represented as

Depending on the type, the parts represent different things.  In the case
of type e-notation,  it is mantissa and exponent.    In the case of
a rational number it is numerator and denominator.

There is an errata candidate lurking here in that we do state:

          4.4.1.1.2 Attributes

All attributes are *CDATA*:

type

    Allowed values are "real", "integer", "rational",
    "complex-cartesian", "complex-polar", "constant"

which should also list "e-notation" in addition to the other possible
values in order to be consistent
with  the detailed discription of type found in  4.3.2.9 and in C.2.1.1
MMLdefinition: |cn|

        4.3.2.9 |type|

cn

    indicates type of the number. Predefined values: "e-notation",
    "integer", "rational", "real", "complex-polar", "complex-cartesian",
    "constant".

Stan Devitt