Re: e-notation definition missing from MathML 2nd ed schemas?

From: Stan Devitt <jsdevitt@stratumtek.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 00:39:24 -0400
To: mhucka@caltech.edu
Cc: www-math@w3.org

The e-notation is just (or is supposed to be) an allowed value
for the "type" attribute.  Basically, there are several types of
numbers, all having 2 parts, and all represented as

Depending on the type, the parts represent different things.  In the case
of type e-notation,  it is mantissa and exponent.    In the case of
a rational number it is numerator and denominator.

There is an errata candidate lurking here in that we do state:

All attributes are *CDATA*:

    Allowed values are "real", "integer", "rational",
    "complex-cartesian", "complex-polar", "constant"

which should also list "e-notation" in addition to the other possible
values in order to be consistent
with  the detailed discription of type found in and in C.2.1.1
MMLdefinition: |cn|

    indicates type of the number. Predefined values: "e-notation",
    "integer", "rational", "real", "complex-polar", "complex-cartesian",

Stan Devitt