Re: Mathml display with IE

From: Robert Miner <RobertM@dessci.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:07:35 -0600
To: pzn04@yahoo.fr
Cc: www-math@w3.org

Hi.

You wrote:

> I had worked on implementing mathml in our documentation.  It worked.
> However, when mathml is generated with OpenOffice, I get the display as
> shown in the attached images.  The same file would display differently
> in Internet Explorer and Netscape.
> Notice that encoding is set to UTF-8 in the xml.
> If you have an explanation to such behavior, I would be grateful.

I checked with our tech support department, and they also seem to have
encoutered this problem.  In that case, the source code provided
contained an incorrect codepoint for the '<' symbol.  It appears
OpenOffice generates 0xE084, in the Unicode Private Area.

I'm surprised it works in Netscape. It shouldn't really. But I
suppose it is Netscape that chose to use a private code, and the Open
Office people tailored their output specifically for Netscape, and
were thereby lured into error.

--Robert

Dr. Robert Miner                                RobertM@dessci.com
MathML 2.0 Specification Co-editor                    651-223-2883
Design Science, Inc.   "How Science Communicates"   www.dessci.com