HTML (not XHTML) with MathML embedded

From: <ajvincent@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 20:52:43 GMT
To: www-math@w3.org

In working on the Abacus project for Mozilla-based editing of MathML, I ran into a stumbling block:  I could not locate a DTD for HTML + MathML.

I'm wondering if the MathML 2.0 DTD can be used safely with the HTML 4.01 Transitional and/or Strict DTD in some manner.  I don't recall seeing where an HTML document type could include inline entities as XML doctypes support.

I would personally prefer to use XHTML 1.1 + MathML 2.0, but Mozilla Composer does not support XHTML at this time...

Please advise.

Alexander J. Vincent
Vallejo, CA

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!