When to stretch parentheses

From: Vincent Quint <Vincent.Quint@inria.fr>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:36:30 +0100
To: www-math@w3.org
Cc: Vincent.Quint@inrialpes.fr

An user of Amaya reported recently an interesting case where Amaya and
Mozilla do not render an expression the same way. I checked the spec
and I am not sure how to interpret it to decide who is right.
Here is the case:

<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML" display="block">

In Amaya, the parentheses have the same height as the fraction, while
in Mozilla they are much smaller and have the same height as the
characters "CM" they enclose.

So, I checked the MathML 2.0 spec (2nd edition).

Section of the MathML 2.0 spec (2nd edition) "Vertical Stretching
Rules", first bullet, says:
"If a stretchy operator is a direct sub-expression of an mrow element,
....then it should stretch to cover the height and depth (above and below
the axis) of the non-stretchy direct sub-expressions in the mrow element..."

I guess this is in favor of Mozilla: the stretchy operators are not
children of an mrow element, but children of a math element.

But, reading the spec further, section 7.1.2 "The Top-Level math Element",
3rd paragraph says:
"The math element can contain an arbitrary number of children schemata.
The children schemata render by default as if they were contained in an
mrow element."
(here, I suppose that "schemata" means "elements", and that "children"
means the same as "direct sub-expression" in section

This seems to be in favor of Amaya.

Is my reasoning right? Or should Amaya do the same as Mozilla?

I should add that if you introduce an mrow element as a child (or
direct sub-expression) of the math element, to enclose all the contents
of the original math element, both Amaya and Mozilla do the same: they
display large parentheses.

Thanks for any advice,

Vincent Quint                       INRIA Rhône-Alpes
e-mail: Vincent.Quint@inria.fr      655 avenue de l'Europe
Fax:  +33 4 76 61 52 07             38334 Saint Ismier Cedex