Re: Entity ε // Small Greek letter epsilon in MathML 2.0

From: Robert Miner <RobertM@dessci.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:31:57 -0600
To: Bernhard.Keil@soft4science.com
Cc: www-math@w3.org

Bernhard,

> May be I see something wrong, but as far as
> I read the entity list in the MathML 2.0 Specification
> the small greek letter "epsilon" has the entity name "&epsi;"
> while the entity name "&epsilon;" is not part of the MathML 2.0 spec.
>
> If this is the case than there is a bug in MathPlayer, because
> MathPlayer 1.1 does not know "&epsi;" it displays a red question
> mark for any occurance of "&epsi;".  Instead it interprets the
> entity "&epsilon;" but this is not part of the MathML specification.

There used to be a problem with the various names for epsilon in the
spec, and I believe it was only corrected when MathML 2.0 Second
Edition came out.

But you are correct that MathPlayer 1.1 is out of sync, and doesn't
properly recognize &epsi;.  We have fixed this in MathPlayer 2.0,
which is nearing the end of beta testing and should be released in a
few weeks.

--Robert

Dr. Robert Miner                                RobertM@dessci.com
MathML 2.0 Specification Co-editor                    651-223-2883
Design Science, Inc.   "How Science Communicates"   www.dessci.com