Re: As good as LaTeX?

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 22:00:11 +0100
Cc: www-math@w3.org
To: Roger I Martin PhD <hypernexdev@hypernexinc.com>

Le 8 déc. 04, à 15:08, Roger I Martin PhD a écrit :

>> Although I acknowledge is by no means as close in standards,
>> accessibility, widespreadedness, I tend to give my 2 cents: dvi2svg
>> is way to go soon. Though it requires SVG plugin which isn't so
>> widespread.
> Do you know of any xslt for mathml to svg?  I've started one but am
> interested in any other open source effort.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect the layout logic richness of
TeX in an XSLT stylesheet... hence I wouldn't advise it although I
believe many have tried it.
FixIdea uses a box-model to render MathML in SVG...

The idea behind dvi2svg was, for us, to actually use it in the chain
   OMDoc (with OpenMath formulae) --XSLT--> LaTeX --latex-->
        DVI --dvi2svg--> SVG
What is important here are the following aspects which, I think, few
math-on-the-web solutions deliver:
- web-friendlyness (and open standard!)
- possibility for interactivity
- high math layout quality (little has surpassed TeX on this)
- font-predictability (we download them!)
At least for the last step, there was no solution available.
You can try it in the demo of ActiveMath.

paul