Re: As good as LaTeX?

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:42:50 +0100
Cc: www-math@w3.org
To: "Bill Constantine" <wconstan@insightful.com>

Le 7 déc. 04, à 22:09, Bill Constantine a écrit :
> Ultimately, I want the ability to be able to create
> those beautiful LaTeX quality equations so that they can directly be
> displayed in a web browser.

Although I acknowledge is by no means as close in standards,
accessibility, widespreadedness, I tend to give my 2 cents: dvi2svg is
way to go soon. Though it requires SVG plugin which isn't so
widespread.

> Questions: Will MathML facilitate complicated equations as does LaTeX?
> Is it conceivable that LaTeX equations may be entered within
> special MathML tag(s) so that conversion is done "behind the scenes"?

There are many processors that go from LaTeX (generally some restricted
form thereof as otherwise it is almost impossible) to MathML.
I know at least the following names. There's an amount of others, I
think:
- Hermes (with LaTeX)
- Gellmu
- tex4ht