Re: MathML in CSS

From: Bruce Miller <bruce.miller@nist.gov>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 02:13:29 -0400
To: White Lynx <whitelynx@operamail.com>
CC: www-math@w3.org

White Lynx wrote:
> Opera handles vertical-align:middle; correctly apart of the cases
> when several inline-tables (or inline-blocks) with different height
> appear on one line.

exactly where it's noticable for fractions!

>>The !important shouldn't be needed here, right???
>>(to overrule earlier rules like mn {display:inline; } ) */
>
> Yep, it is known bug :(
> http://my.opera.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42187

Thanks for the verifications.

>>NOTE: Vertical alignment of vertical-align:sub|super doesn't seem
>>to reliably take the base heights into account (maybe Opera 7.51 bug?)
>
> No, I don't think that it is bug.

No, you're probably right. I backtracked from that point of view
after re-rereading the specs; the css3 version is a bit more explicit
that it raises it by an amount depending on the font size.
I just forgot to remove that comment from the stylesheet.

> CSS2 based solution is also possible.
> munderover		{display:inline-table;}
> munderover > *		{display:table-row;}
> munderover > * + * + *	{display:table-caption;caption-side:top;}

Oooh, that's devious :>
I'll try that!

Thanks a lot for your feedback, George.

--