Re: MathML in CSS

From: White Lynx <whitelynx@operamail.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 12:58:54 +0400
To: "Bruce Miller" <bruce.miller@nist.gov>
Cc: www-math@w3.org

>>>Fraction alignment
>>>Our stylesheet uses display:inline-table for fractions.
>>>According to the Specification (next to last paragraph on page), the baseline of
>>>an inline-table should be the baseline of the first row.
>>>However, neither of the browsers I've tried respect this.
>>>If they did, we could presumably align fractions properly using something like:
>>> mfrac > *:first-child { vertical-align:bottom; }
>>> mfrac { vertical-align:0.6ex; }
>>>where the 0.6ex is intended to account for the 1/2 ex, plus the distance
>>>from the fraction line to the bottom of the numerator.
>>>If that understanding is correct, then fraction alignment should be
>>>possible (modulo some ad-hoc fudge factors), without any CSS extensions at all.
>>
>> I fear it is not sufficient. What you suggest, aligns baseline of numerator
>> with baseline of text and then shifts it up by half ex.
> My hope was that the 1st rule above
>   mfrac > *:first-child { vertical-align:bottom; }
> would set the baseline of the numerator to be it's bottom,
> and that _that_ would become the baseline of the fraction.

Unfortunately doing this will not change anything.
It will just bottom-align content of numerator as a whole,
baseline will still be content dependent.

> [This may also be a case where a strategic ::outside would allow us to
> mess with the display & positioning of the numerator, without
> affecting it's internal layout]

Yep, I think it is possible (but slightly complex) solution.
In this case ::outside will be table-cell with fixed baseline,
and numerator itself could be inline-block with vertical-alignment
set to text-bottom. Theoretically it should work, but it would be nice
to have more simple solution.

Best wishes,
George