Re: Combining markup

On 19-Apr-04, at 19:30 Uhr, Robert Miner wrote:
> At some level, this is obviously true, since a software package that
> is going to deal with sub-term selection is going to track the
> relation between the content markup in the source and the presentation
> markup it is displaying.  But the exact selection behavior is somewhat
> independent.  In WebEQ we chose to allow one to select the 2+, but if
> you copy it to the clipboard, you will just get the corresponding
> presentation fragment.  If you select the entire 2+3, then you will
> get the corresponding content markup, since there is a correspondence
> at that level.  We could have done it differently, of course, but the
> choice isn't really a function of the markup.

Interesting.
(I presume it only works with WebEQ "installed" in the VM-extensions
for permission purposes)
This seeems to have a drawback: people would only see that you copy
content if they "select correctly" which is somewhat random depending
on the difficulty in selecting...

My favourite example where visual selection can have problems with
"content-selection" is the "3 = -2 mod 5": if you have operator
selection (i.e. you can select an operator without its operands, a
highly wished feature) then you should be able to select the "mod" but
you should only be able to do so by selecting at the same time the "="
as, at least in classical semantic of such an expression, the operator
"... = ... mod ..." is the operator and not just the "=".

What does WebEQ do then ?

paul