Re: Re: Latex to Mathml translators

From: (wrong string) éphan Sémirat <stephan.semirat@ac-grenoble.fr>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:49:46 +0100
To: Robert Miner <RobertM@dessci.com>, osserman@math.mit.edu <osserman@math.mit.edu>
Cc: www-math@w3.org <www-math@w3.org>

Hi,

>People are free to use whatever software suits them as far as
>I'm concerned.

In fact, i think there is really a gap to be filled about authoring math documents (for the web or not).
I'm a french teacher (in high school) and i do need to type math every day. I used to use laTeX, but couldn't share documents with other teachers.
They used equation editor but are not satisfied with it (try to type "\int_{a_1}^{a_2}" : how many minutes you need, and what about the rendering ?).
The gap is bigger when authoring for the web : have you try to write a 2 pages document, with almost 15-20 math equations (that is a "normal" exams) with math type ? It would take half a day and two mouses (well, i exagerate, but not so much).
What i need (is needed ?) is a _simple_ latex syntaxed language, without two thousand files to deal with,...
I think i know how to use a computer, but in the list you mention, Robert, i feel like one's need to be a PH -D in informatic to understand how to use most of them !

>But it really is a triviality to come up with a language as terse as
>TeX that maps directly and unambiguously to some XML + MathML doc
>type.  For example, just changing <foo>...</foo> to \foo{...} and
>adding some default tokenization rules (that can be easily overridden)
>makes authoring MathML comparable to authoring TeX.  Its just that
>there evidently hasn't been enough of a demand for it for anyone to
>have written a compiler yet...

Well i'm just writting something simple that do this job, and more (use of css,...).

Regards,
Stephan Semirat