Re: Accented variables (names)

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 13:33:13 +0100
To: S.Pepping@elsevier.nl
Cc: www-math@w3.org

Simon,

Thanks as ever for your careful analysis of the DTD.

> 1) The list contains 5 combining characters, because there are no spacing
> alternatives. Following David Carlisle's suggestion, the combining accents
> are preceded by a ZERO WIDTH SPACE character.

Hm yes I suspect that We should follow that suggestion in the main
mathml dtd, I'll take this up with the WG.

I note that the charmod document got updated last week
and it is more explict that W3C full normalisation means that combining
characters shouldn't be used directly following markup:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-charmod-20030822/#sec-Restrictions

http://www.star.net.uk