Re: Spacing and formatting across multiple math tags

This example helps.   The layout you prefer could be done now using
something like 4 columns, 6 rows, some appropriate colspan attribute
values, and some careful alignment and/or padding.

The real "challenge" is to get from the semantic structure (which is
essentially)

<multistep>
  <step role="iff">
    <lhs>Term1</lhs>
    <rhs>Term 2</rhs>
  </step>
  <step role="iff">
    <lhs>Term3</lhs>
    <rhs>Term 4</rhs>
  </step>
  <step role="iff">
    <lhs>Term5</lhs>
    <rhs>Term 6</rhs>
  </step>
  <comment>This is an xhtml comment</comment>
  <step role="implies">
    <lhs>Term7</lhs>
    <rhs>Term 8</rhs>
  </step>
</multistep>

to your preferred layout without human intervention, or more
explicit formatting information.

For example, to mark up Term 7 entirely in a single MathML table
cell  we would need some sort of  malign which interacted
with  automatic line-wrapping  in  a new way

Stan.