rangle and langle in math discouraged

From: David Allouche <david@allouche.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:22:46 +0200
To: www-math@w3.org
Cc: Joris van der Hoeven <vdhoeven@texmacs.org>

I am currently working on conversion tables between TeXmacs symbols and
Unicode in order to improve XML (and MathML) export.

MathML defines:
<!ENTITY lang "&#x02329;" ><!--/langle O: left angle bracket -->
<!ENTITY rang "&#x0232A;" ><!--/rangle C: right angle bracket -->

However the unicode chart states:

  These are discouraged for mathematical use because of their canonical
  equivalence to CJK punctuation.

Instead, the recommanded codes for mathematical use are
(from the unicode database)

Since texmacs is most probably going to use the same conversion tables
for generic XML (where I would prefer to use the unicode recommanded
characters) and for MathML (where using the character corresponding to
the entity is definitely the right thing) I am quite annoyed since there
seem to be no right solution...

Do I have missed something in the MathML recommandation? Is there a
rationale for using these characters for MathML even though this is
discouraged by Unicode? Is it planned that MathML be updated?

Thanks for your help.
                                                            -- ddaa