Re: MathML Presentation to content transformation

From: Robert Miner <RobertM@dessci.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 12:25:54 -0500
To: www-math@w3.org

Max Froumentin wrote:

> benoît encelle <encelle@irit.fr> wrote:
> > i am looking for transformation tools that convert MathML
> > Presentation markup expressions to MathML Content markup expressions
> As part of the Universal MathML stylesheet, David Carlisle has
> an XSLT transform to do just that. The stylesheet is at
> http://www.w3.org/Math/XSL/ctop.xsl
> and more information is at
> http://www.w3.org/Math/XSL/Overview-tech.html
> Feel free to ask further questions on this list.

I think you've got the direction backwards Max.  The stylesheet only
does content -> presentation, and not presentation -> content, which
is much harder, and not possible in full generality, of course.

The only systems I know that attempt the hard direction are Maple,
Mathematica and the WebEQ Developer Suite tools.  None of these is
easily scriptable, for a batch process, say, though the next version
of the WebEQ tools will have more facilities in this direction.

Dr. Robert Miner                                RobertM@dessci.com
MathML 2.0 Specification Co-editor                    651-223-2883
Design Science, Inc.   "How Science Communicates"   www.dessci.com