Re: deprecated elements in MathML Test Suite

From: Robert Miner <RobertM@dessci.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:27:02 -0500
To: Strotmann@rrz.uni-koeln.de
CC: mf@w3.org, www-math@w3.org

Hi Andreas,

> But it does purport to *test* conformance (if not define it), so that
> errors should only be raised in the appropriate section (namely, error
> handling).
>
> Besides, if the MathML processor you're testing is in fact an
> off-the-shelf Mozilla browser, which (correctly) refuses to process the
> simple formula "a<b", then I question the appropriateness of leaving the
> tests as they are.
>
> >Besides, one could try to run the test suite on a MathML 1.x processor
> >where those tests should not return an error.
> >
> In which case it should be labeled as a MathML 1.x test suite, not "the"
> MathML one.  As long as it is prominently linked from the main MathML
> page as *the* MathML test suite, its positive examples should not use
> any features deprecated at the current Recommendation version level at
> all, since it should serve as an example to other users of MathML.

I don't disagree, but the realities of the situation are merely that
there is too much to do.  I'll get to it, but probably not for a
while.  That's the best I can do.  Sorry.

--Robert

Dr. Robert Miner                                RobertM@dessci.com
MathML 2.0 Specification Co-editor                    651-223-2883
Design Science, Inc.   "How Science Communicates"   www.dessci.com