Re: Math-engines, Mathematica, Maple or ...

I don't think you'd have any licensing problems with the REDUCE Computer
Algebra system (www.uni-koeln.de/REDUCE/,
www.zib.de/Optimization/Software/Reduce/,
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/codemist/reduce/), and it does what you
ask. It's almost open-source: the regular version includes the full LISP
source code, and it's quite reasonably priced.  It has some support for
MathML, too.

 -- Andreas Strotmann