Re: Representing a set of value pairs?

The construction

<set>
  <bvar>...</bvar>
  <condition>
  </condition>
</set>

is a sort of shorthand for constructing sets like

<set>
</set>

The last term in the constructor is an  "instance" of the set elements that
are to be constructed.  (I could have built a set of sets, but  I've already
seen one published map claiming that   1 km = 1.6 miles  :) )

The set is actually built by using the conditions to select valid pairs
of bvar values and then for each such pair constructing an actual
element ( in this case a list)

It corresponds in a very real sense  to the notation
{   ( i , c )  |  conditions on i and c go here  }

Stan Devitt
StratumTek