Re: Java API for MATHML

I thought someone might catch that change
in  A&S between versions. :-)

In 4.1.3  it states that "Each structure has
an associated  default semantics and there is a
mechanism for associating new mathematical definitions
with new constructs."

In 4.3.2.3  it states that using the definitionURL
"overrides" the MathML default semantics."

While it is true that the recommendation stops just short of
prescribing the content semantics, (if I remember correctly,
appendix C is not normative) in my opinion it is still
a fairly strong recommendation that if you mean something
different you have an obligation to say so.

For example, I quote from appendix C where a model
for the usage for definitionURL is recommended,

for recording that a particular notational structure has a
particular mathematical meaning.  To this end, every content element must
have a mathematical definition associated with it in some form. The purpose
of this appendix is to provide <emph>default</emph> definitions. (An index
to the definitions is provided later in this document.) Authors may
adapt the notation to their own particular needs by using mechanisms
provided to override these default definitions for selected content
elements.</p>

My personal interpretation of this is that at very
least, you must use a definitionURL if you require
something specific especially if different from appendix C.

In the absence of a definitionURL, a user or
developer could reasonably expect you meant
the definitions in appendix C to some degree of rigour.

Stan D.