Re: zero vector

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Charlet Reedstrom wrote:

> Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:36:59 -0600
> From: Charlet Reedstrom <charlet@rice.edu>
> To: www-math@w3.org
> Subject: zero vector
>

> I am looking for a way to notate the n-dimensional zero vector.  You
> can't use the vector tag with many zeros since the number of zeros is
> unknown. I am told this is normally displayed as a bold zero.  I am
> inclined to use <cn type='vector'>0</cn>, but this doesn't seem to be
> allowed according to the spec.  Any suggestions?

One could create a zero_vector OpenMath symbol (or equivalent), taking one
argument (sibling in the XML tree), for the length. Then refer to this
with a MathML semantics or csymbol element.

Bill

P.S. info on OpenMath may be obtained at http://openmath.org
P.P.S this zero vector symbol should probably go in the content dictionary
linalg6, this may be contributed from the OpenMath contribution page:

http://monet.nag.co.uk/cocoon/openmath/cdfiles/collections/contributed.html