Suggested Corrections to and

From: Andreas Strotmann <Strotmann@rrz.uni-koeln.de>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:19:27 +0200
To: www-math@w3.org

I would like to suggest removing one line from the example quoted below
from section, namely, the line containing the bvar qualifier:

" It is also valid to use qualifier schema with a function not applied
to an argument. For example, a function acting on integrable functions
on the interval [0,1] might be denoted:

I found that Maple quite reasonably interprets the apply element of the
example as it stands now as $\int_0^1 dx$, which evaluates to 1.

The problem is that the correct way to represent the concept of
integrals over a particular interval is along the lines of the example
in section (Domain of Application):

"The integral of a function f over an arbitrary domain C .
    <ci> C </ci>
  <ci> f </ci>

using a unary function as an argument to the integral operator.  The way
the current example that I suggest fixed here stands, variables x in the
argument to such a function would be crossing a variable binding barrier
in a rather peculiar way that I don't think any semantics formalism
could possibly allow in a systematic fashion.

I just realized that domainofapplication is not currently listed as a
qualifier (as I had assumed) but as a regular element.  I don't think
that that is a good idea -- it clearly has just as special a semantics
as all the other qualifier elements, and should be a qualifier just like

I hope this helps,

  -- Andreas