Re: Errors in MathML DTD

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 10:17:26 +0100
To: link@pobox.com
CC: www-math@w3.org, www-validator@w3.org, nick@webthing.com

> Hmmm, the state of the MathML DTD appears to be quite fluid in comparison
> with the stringent process for normal deliverables (i.e. Recommendations)
> of W3C WGs.

For mathml 2.0 rec the DTD was part of the REC itself and so completely
stable in TR space. The problem with that is that unlike prose text you
can not fix machine readable files by way of the errata document.

So as an errata to MathML 2 (and now incorporated in the draft 2.0 2nd
ed) The DTD is maintained separately from TR space so that fixes may be
incorporated when needed. Unfortunately due to an error on my part
a change was not corectly cvs committed so the version on the server
was broken (for about a day). This was unfortunate, but was a specific
human error, not a sign of an endemic problem.

> Perhaps it would be prudent to discuss how better to make sure the Markup
> Validation Service stays in sync with the latest developments in the MathML
> Recommendation and its supporting materials in the future?
Surely all the validation service needs to do is to use the DTD from
/Math/DTD/mathml2/
no other syncronisation should be needed should it?

I can certainly volunteer to keep an eye on the www-validator list to watch
for any mathml-related problems that are reported there.