Re: line break

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:50:06 +0100
To: stephan.semirat@ac-grenoble.fr, www-math@w3.org

   Hi.

   > Is there a way to avoid line-breaking inside an <math> </math> tag ?
   > Css ?  Clearly, it is not welcome that a formula breaks in two lines
   > when not wanted.  (i may use style="display : block", but i don't want
   > line-breaking before and after the formula as well).

   As far as I know, there is no reasonable way to do this with MathML
   markup.  It's curious that no one has identified this omission before;
   clearly it should be addressed at some point.

   --Robert

I agree with Robert that this is a gap at the level of the language specification
however there is a current practical workaround for common rendering
engines at least.

In internet explorer the behavior interface doesn't really let the math
expression take part in the linebreaking of the outer paragraph, so
the formula will not break anyway.

Mozilla does break inline math but only at the outer level of mrow
nesting, so if you wrap your formula in an mrow it won't break. (This is
actually the same rule as TeX, which does not break any expression
inside {...}). The MathML spec suggests that level of mrow nesting can
be used as a hint to the renderer on the desirability of line breaking,
but stresses that linebreaking is implementation-defined, so both of
these behaviours are compatible with the specification.

http://www.star.net.uk