Re: presenting tableau calculi

From: Luca Padovani <lpadovan@cs.unibo.it>
Date: 03 Oct 2002 08:35:40 +0200
To: Pietro Abate <abate@discus.anu.edu.au>
Cc: Claudio Sacerdoti Coen <sacerdot@students.cs.unibo.it>, "www-math@w3.org" <www-math@w3.org>

Ciao Pietro,

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 03:41, Pietro Abate wrote:
> I would like to represent a structure like this with mathml

looks like a sort of natural deduction tree. Presenting logic in MathML
is not an easy issue. What we currently do with sequent calculus is to
use tables where we activate the horizontal line between the hypothesis
and the conclusion. The problem in your case is that even using this
trick you will hardly be able to preserve the structure of the tree,
that is, you will have to flatten the tree and represent it with a
single table. Representing this single example may be quite easy, but
doing it in general (and automatically) could become tricky.

Another possibiliy would be to use a combination of SVG and MathML
markup, so that you can place your formulas as you wish within your
frame, and you draw lines and whatever else with SVG. Not sure if you
can do this with Mozilla yet, but if your "represent" does not mean
"render" that is an option.