Re: Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> writes:

> Also XHTML is incompatible with the usual ISO definitions
> (asymp and circ for example) which causes some problems for MathML which
> tries to be in agreeement with both.

It is correct, isn't it, that the value of a general entity name does
not depend on the current XML namespace.  I suppose the reason for
this is that general entity definitions may be viewed as playing the
role of macro definitions and so would then be viewed as
author-private.  Of course, there is a history of use that is
document-type-private, rather than author-private.  (And there are
the few character names that are required by the XML 1.0 spec.)

                                    -- Bill