Re: MathML

From: Robert Miner <RobertM@dessci.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:00:41 -0600
To: jbeck2@austin.rr.com
CC: www-math@w3.org

Hi.

> I have been trying to use MathML, from the examples on:
>
> 	http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/chapter2.html#N1828
>
> So far, they do not appear to work, using ManDrake 8.0, and the
> Netscape that shipped with it (I am not sure the version used).

In addition to Max's observation that you need to use a MathML-aware
browser, looking at your source code I see you left out the
<math>...</math> tags which must surround every MathML expression.

In lifting the examples out of chapter 2, I think you must have missed
section 2.2 on how to embed MathMl in a document, and the warning text
at the beginning of 2.3:

> 2.3 Some MathML Examples
>
> We continue below to display examples in the form of fragments of
> MathML markup such as would appear inside math elements in real
> documents. For the sake of clearer exposition of principles, the
> examples in Chapters 3, 4, 5 and 6 follow this form of giving examples
> as MathML fragments.

--Robert

Robert Miner                                    RobertM@dessci.com
MathML 2.0 Specification Co-editor                    651-223-2883
Design Science, Inc.   "How Science Communicates"   www.dessci.com